Tuesday 13 November 2012

Does it get any better than this?

Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday are my favourite mornings of the week lately.  When the weather's good the kids get up, have breakfast, we all go and grab a takeaway skim mocha for yours truly and we come home to have outside time for an hour or two before morning nap time!

The kids LOVE playing outside, and this weather is perfect for them to be outside in the morning.  We have a backyard that most kids dream about; a 12ft trampoline, a swing set, a big cubby house, a HUGE sandpit, a big patch of grass, a big area of concrete for them to ride bikes, a slippery dip etc.  

The awesome foursome love TV, they dance happily to the tunes of Play School, Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder, Peppa Pig etc but it's by no means a babysitter for them.  We often go a whole day without even turning the TV on (and no, not just the days that they're in childcare!)

Sun safety with the kids is important to me, but Vitamin D is also important to them for their bones, which in turn produce red blood cells which keep them healthy (see, I really am learning something from the mind numbingly boring Human Body lectures) which is why when we're outside at this glorious hour of the morning (it's now 8.30am) they are hat and sunscreen FREE!  The rest of the day when it warms up we put hats and sunscreen on, but given that there's such a huge Vitamin D deficiency in our population, this is something I feel is important for their growth and their health.

Another thing is reducing the sodium intake in the kids diet.  Have you looked at the nutritional panels on some of the foods you regularly feed the kids?  I was staggered at how much sodium is in yoghurt!  And the other day I went to buy rice cakes for the kids.  One had 42mg sodium per serve, yet I managed to find one with only 0.7mg per serve.  All it takes is to check the nutritional panel and compare a few different brands.  I've found the iPhone app 'Food Switch' great for this!  Tells you at a glance how foods compare.

On a brighter note, only 1 more sleep until my Human Body exam at 9am tomorrow!  I was up studying until midnight last night, and tonight will probably be much the same!  Keep your fingers crossed for me!

This is my 4 little treasures playing together outside this morning:



No comments:

Post a Comment