Monday 12 November 2012

Am I really old enough?

Having dropped the triplets at child care this morning, and leaving the kindergarten after dropping Miss almost 5 off, I was heading down the steps in my trackies and Havi's and was suddenly struck by the realisation that I'm an almost 35yo Mum of 4 little people.

I don't feel old enough for that, I don't think I look old enough!  I know when I tell people that I have 4 children, they often say 'you don't look old enough to have four kids'.  I'm not 18 any more, and while it's been a LONG time since I've lived like an 18yo, I don't feel middle aged either, which realistically is what I'm very rapidly edging towards.  

I'm only now going through University, I've only recently discovered what I want to do with my life!  Have I left my run later than I should have?  Possibly, but I'm now old and smart enough to know that what I put in to Uni is for a good reason, I won't be putting in 3 years of hard work only to decide I really want to be a Marine Biologist instead of a Midwife.

But where has the time gone?  I lost a HUGE part of my 20's being overweight and miserable, I didn't truly live life, and I am forever grateful to myself that I won't be spending the 2nd half of my 30's the same way! My early 30's was about breeding so I could be forgiven for not 'living' the way I could have been, but now I get to look forward, and perhaps this is the right way?  Maybe living life from now with the benefit of wisdom to go with it is the smart thing to do?  I can go out and party and have a few drinks knowing that my 4 little alarm clocks will still wake up at 7am regardless of when Mummy gets home, so I hold back on drinking too much and don't spend a day suffering for it.  I am (usually) happily married, so when I go out I look good for myself, I'm not trying to meet anyone so I don't have that pressure!

A good quote from the Jerry McGuire movie 'I'm not trying to meet a man, I'm not trying to keep a man, I'm trying to RAISE a man'.  So true once you have son's!

But after all of that, my question is, when do we feel old enough?  Do we ever really feel our age?  Maybe when we're 80 our body feels every day of 80, but I'm sure my parents don't feel in their mid 50's!

We spend so much of our early lives waiting to get old enough, and from then on we're back to wishing we were younger!

This is me recently! I don't look a day over well 25? LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment